Starting from 2018, the WAMS, The World Academy of Medical Sciences will annually be awarding entitled medical professionals the global WAMS Awards [WAMSA], the Medical Academy Awards [MAA] in three categories.
- Surgery: General Surgery and all the surgical sub-branches of Medicine, e.g. Thoracic/Cardiovascular Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Urology, Orthopedics, Trauma Surgery, Surgical Gastroenterology, Surgical Oncology, Ear, Nose and Throat, Ophthalmology, etc.
- Clinical Medicine: All the fields and specialties of clinical medicine.
- Basic Medical Sciences: All the fields and branches and of the basic sciences of Medicine and related fields and branches including Human Biology and Molecular Biology.
Each winner gets awarded with a golden “WAMS Globe”, a golden “WAMS Shield”, a “WAMS Award Certificate” and a cash prize. All the members of a winning team or group get WAMS Globes, Shields and Certificates also as personalized individually and get the cash prize shared among them equally.
Also, at the "Awards Ceremony", the winners' nominators in all of the three categories receive the Academy's "Honor Award" for their facilitating contribution to the winners' success.
Nomination Period for the 2018 Medical Academy Awards:
- Nomination Period begins: 1st May 2017 at 00:01 [Nominator's Local Time]
- Nomination Period ends: 30th April 2018 at 23:59 [Nominator's Local Time]
Selection process takes place in elimination rounds in which nominees progress through three “qualifying” stages:
First Lists (Cumulative Lists): Announced on 1st September 2018
Selection Limit: No limit in the numbers of nominees.
The First Lists of the categories, announced and displayed online, present, in alphabethical order, the names of nominees who have reached the limit of the 100-point Academic Score. Under the nominees names, the titles of their study or work take place.The lists also display the exact points held by the nominees.
Voting: The voters are the delegates (members) of the WAMS General Council (Academy fellows and members) who are the members of the Academy’s “World Medical Sciences Council”. They vote in all the categories to move 25 of the nominees of the each category to the next stage (Stage 2) of the progression.
The score of 100 or more points: In order to take place in the First Lists of nominees officially, candidates must have a sufficient number of nominators whose submissions add up to help them reach the score of 100 or more Academic Points.
Academic Points: This is a simple and straight system of enabling the nominees to enter the cumulative lists (First Lists). Each nominee’s Total points are generated by the nominators’ summed up individual points which are variably specified and assigned depending upon their professional and academic titles and status as shown in the examples below:
- WAMS executives: 0 (Not allowed to nominate)
- WAMS’ non-executive members and fellows: 0.5 point
- Non-Academically titled medical professionals: 1 point
- Academically titled medical professionals: 2 points
- Academically titled senior medical professionals: 3 points
- Heads of national medical institutions: 3 points
- Department heads of Medical Schools/Faculties: 3 point (excluding the WAMS Faculty)
- Deans of Medical Schools/Faculties: 5 points (excluding the WAMS Faculty)
- Medical scholars (excluding WAMS scholars): 5 points
- Heads of international medical institutions: 7 points (excluding the WAMS and its related institutions)
- Ministers of Health (US: Surgeon General): 15 Points
Second Lists (Short Lists): Announced on 1st November 2018
Selection Limit: 25 Nominees get voted.
The Short Lists are the “Twenty-Five-Candidate” Lists which display the remaining twenty-five qualifying candidates in each category after the elimination of the other nominees.
Voting: The voters are the members of the Academy’s three councils; “WAMS Executive Council”, “WAMS Scientific Council” and the “International Medical Research Council” who vote in all the categories to move 5 of the 25 nominees of each category to the final stage (Stage 3) of the progression.
- Final Lists: Announced on 15th December 2018
- Selection Limit: 5 Nominees get voted.
- This is the final stage of the selection process where the final voting takes place to determine the winners of all the categories.
- Voting: The voters are the delegates (members) of the WAMS General Council (the “World Medical Sciences Council”). They vote in all the categories to choose one of the five nominees of the each category as the winner.
- "Award Ceremony & Celebration" Day: 20th December 2018 – Paris