Dr. Poonam Jain, MD
Chairwoman of the WAMS International Board of Ophthalmology, Member of the Academy Faculty, Member of the WAMS Education & Training Board, Member of the WAMS International Specialty Boards Commission, Member of the WAMS International Medical Research Council.
Dr. Poonam Jain is currently Senior Consultant Ophthalmic and Oculoplastic Surgeon at Centre for Sight (a superspecialty chain of Eye Hospitals), Ashok Vihar, Delhi.
Born in 1965, recipient of the prestigious National Talent Search Scholarship and Open Merit Scholarship ,Poonam Jain graduated from the prestigious Maulana Azad Medical College, University of Delhi in 1987. She completed her postgraduation (MS Ophthalmology) from the Safdarjang Hospital, University of Delhi in 1991 , followed by senior residency in Safdarjung Hospital for a duration of 3 years.
After completing her Residency training Dr. Poonam Jain entered private practice in New Delhi India.
CLINICAL EXPERIENCE (POST MS) and TRAINING
- Worked as Consultant and Team Leader at Escorts, Faridabad for Nayantara Cataract Free Zone Project from Sep. 1991 to Dec. 1991.The project involved screening of patients for cataract in therural areas around Faridabad, Haryana and their operation for cataract extraction. Performed about 10 operations per day.
- Trained in posterior segment surgery at Retina Associates Eye Institute, New Delhi under the world renowned retina surgeon Dr. B. Patnaik , as Jr. Ophthalmologist from Jan 1992 to March 1992.
- Worked as Ad- hoc Sr. Resident in the Deptt. Of Ophthalmology , Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi from April 1992 to May 1992.
- Worked as Sr, Resident in Deptt. Of Ophthalmology, Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi from June 1992 to Sep. 1995. Gained extensive work experience in all subspecialties of ophthalmology. Held the following positions during three year tenure;
- In charge of ‘Trauma Clinic’
- Departmental coordinator with the departments of Maxillofacial Surgery and General Surgery
- In charge of Ultrasound Clinic
- Training in Phacoemulsification at the Laxmi Eye Hospital, Panvel, Maharashtra under Dr. Suhas Haldipurkar, one of the most accomplished pioneer of the technique in Oct. 1995.
- Observership in Oculoplastic and Aesthetic Eye Surgery at the renowned Barraquer Institute, Barcelona, Spain, in Dec. 2005 with Dr. Gorka Martinez Grau, Chief of Oculoplasty, for three weeks.
- Worked at reputed Hospitals of North Delhi as Honorary Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon including Max Hospital, Pitampura, Sunderlal Jain Hospital, Ashok Vihar, MGS Hospital, Punjabi Bagh. Performed cataract surgeries by phacoemulsification and oculoplastic surgeries as a freelance surgeon, visiting a number of eye centres in North and West Delhi .
- Invited for Oculoplasty camps: 2 days at Kota and 3 days at Ajmer in the state of Rajasthan, in Feb. 2006. Performed a number of ptosis, entropion, ectropion and squint surgeries in poor patients.
- Worked as Consultant Ophthalmic and Oculoplastic Surgeon, SantParmanand Hospital, Civil Lines, New Delhi from Jan 2008 to Dec. 2011. Teacher and Thesis guide for postgraduate DNB students. Incharge of Oculoplasty clinic during the tenure. Since Jan. 2012 continuing as courtesy consultant in same hospital.
- Observership at Wilmer Eye Institute, John Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, USA in Oculoplasty in June, 2013.
- Attended hands-on workshop on Oculofacial Surgery at ‘Maryland Aesthetic andReconstructive’ , Baltimore, USA from June 6 to June 14, 2013. Learnt advanced oculofacial surgeries like Browlift, Midface lift, Aesthetic Blepharoplasty, Autologous Fat Transfer and Mini- incision Face lift.
Vast experience in performing all anterior segment surgeries including:
Phacoemulsification under Topical anaesthesia, glaucoma surgeries. Proficient in Squint surgeries and Medical retina procedures as well as Lasik.
Specialising in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (Oculoplastic Surgery), a niche subspecialty of Ophthalmology . Gained recognition among peers for extensive experience in performing Cosmetic Oculoplastic procedures like blepharoplasty (eyelid lift ), brow lift, botox , dermal fillers besides the following procedures:
- Ptosis surgery
- Cosmetic/ functional blepharoplasty for dermatochalasis
- Transconjunctival/ Transcutaneous lowerlid blepharoplasty for removal of under-eye bags
- Minimally invasive Cheek and Midface Lift
- Tear Trough rejuvenation
- Facial palsy rehabilitation
- Correction of congenital / acquired lid deformities like coloboma, notching, postburn contracture
- Lid reconstruction for lid tumours with skin grafting/ mobilization of flaps
- Entropion/ ectropion correction
- Surgery for facial palsy including gold weight implantation and midface lift
- DCR – External/ Laser/ Endoscopic DCR
- Evisceration/enucleation with implant
- Botox inj. for blepharospasm/ crow’s feet/ frown lines
- Dermal fillers for deep, static wrinkles
- Contracted Socket reconstruction with dermis fat graft/ mucus membrane grafting
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co author of paper “ Young men with epiphora: management by an innovative surgical technique ( the Safdarjung Suture ), ” Orbit : volume 22, Number 1/ March 2003, pages 25- 28.
- "Diabetes and the Eye –A review”, Annals of Indian Academy of Medical Specialities,
- Joint Organizing Secretary of the 9th meeting of Asia Pacific Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery (APSOPRS) held in New Delhi in Sept 2014.
- Chief Instructor live demonstration course on Botox at APSOPRS 2014
- Organising secretary for Live surgical workshop with International faculty titled ‘Trends in Oculoplastic & Aesthetic Eyelid Surgery’, the first workshop of its kind with live upper and lower lid transconjunctival blepharoplasties, ptosis (LPS resection) and socket surgeries(evisceration with medpore implant) in Delhi, in Feb. 2005.
- Member, Editorial Board , DOS Times, the monthly journal of Delhi Ophthalmological Society from 2009 to 2011.
- Invited as Faculty, Chaired and moderated sessions and Presented papers at Regional, National, and International conferences.
- Conducted Live demonstration course on Botox and Fillers at ‘Surgical Skills Transfer Course’ at the Annual Conference of All India Ophthalmological Society 2017 held at Jaipur
- Invited for guest lecture at Founder’s day of PGI Chandigarh on 18 March 2016 on ‘ The Art and Science of Periocular Rejuvenation’
- Invited Faculty at the InternationalMaster Course, ‘Confluence’, organised by Centre for Sight at Hyderabad from 13- 15 Dec. 2013. Chaired sessions, was panelist at Grand rounds and delivered lectures on:
‘ Understanding Facial Changes with Aging’
‘ Botox: patient selection and Indications’
‘ Asian Patients: What is so different – Anatomical Variations and Comparisons’
- Invited Guest Lecture at PGI Chandigarh on ‘ Oculofacial Rejuvenation- An Overview’ on Sept 1, 2013
- Moderator, session : Aesthetic Oculoplasty, Annual Conference of Delhi Ophthalmological Society ( DOS), held in Hotel Ashok, New Delhi from 12-14 April 2013 . Presented talk on “Applied Anatomy and Surface Landmarks for Successful Aesthetic Surgery”.
- Delivered Talk in session : Lacrimal Surgery on “ Functional Epiphora : Evaluation and Management” Member, panel of Judges for Free Paper Session Oculoplasty( Competitive Section) at the same Conference.
- Faculty at The Annual Conference of Oculoplasty Association of India, 26 – 28 October 2012, held at Amritsar, Punjab. Presented talk on “Lateral Canthus: The Cornerstone of Successful Aesthetic Surgery”.
- Guest lecture at the 4th Spring Meeting of the International Society for Dermatologic Surgery ISDS in cooperation with Association of Cutaneous Surgeons of India ACSI, 12- 15 April 2012, held at Gurgaon, NCR of Delhi on ‘Periocular Rejuvenation : Simplified Approach”.
- Chairperson at ‘ Aesthetics2011’, organized jointly under the aegis of Association of Plastic Surgeons of India and Association of Cutaneous Surgeons of India, held in Sept. 2011. Session: Holistic Approach to facial Rejuvenation. Speakers : Dr. Jan Urban Jerbeck (Sweden), Dr. L.D. Dhami (Mumbai).
- Co Convener and Speaker, session, ‘ Aesthetic Oculoplasty Surgery’, Annual DOS Conference, April, 2011.Talk on ‘ Pearls and Pitfalls in upper lid Blepharoplasty’.
- Panelist and Speaker, Oculoplasty session, Mid Term conference, DOS, held in Nov. 2010. Talk on “ Mullers’ Muscle Conjunctival Resection Technique for management of Blepharoptosis”.
- Panelist, DOS Teaching Live Surgery, November, 2010, held at Army Hospital.
- Co- convener and Speaker, Aesthetics and Socket session, Annual Conference, DOS, April, 2010. Talk on “Cosmetic uses of Botulinum Toxin.”
Moderator, session ‘ Managing Eyelids- Tools of the Trade’ at the same conference.
- Speaker, Oculoplasty session, Mid Term Conference DOS, Nov. 2009. Talk on ‘InvolutionalEntropion’.
- Speaker, session on ‘ Periocular Aesthetics’, Annual Conference, DOS , March 2009. Talk on ‘Blepharoplasty: Ensuring good results’.
- One of the judges at the Annual Conference , DOS , March 2009 for the free paper session, competitive section.
- Delivered keynote address at the Oculoplasty session at International Conference of the SAARC Academy of Ophthalmology, held in Delhi in Sept. 2008. Topic: “Avoiding Complications in Blepharoplasty”.
- Convener and Speaker, session ‘Aesthetic Oculoplastic Surgery’, Annual DOS Conference, March, 2008. Talk on ‘The Science and Art of Blepharoplasty’.
- Guest speaker at “An update on Aesthetic Dermatology”, a two day workshop organized by dermatology association of Delhi, Sept. 2008. Topic: ‘Periocular Rejuvenation: ophthalmologists’ point of view.
- Invited speaker for the talk “Blepharoplasty for Eyelid Rejuvenation” at the annual conference of Delhi Ophthalmology Society, April 2007.
- Invited guest faculty for the minisymposium on Oculoplasty held at Hindu Rao Hospital, September 2005.
- Published article on “Cosmetic Uses of Botox : An Overview” in DOS Times.
- Part of expert panel in “Focus onEntropion”, a panel discussion and question answer session involving five renowned oculoplastic surgeons, published in DOS Times.
- Life member of Delhi Ophthalmic Society
- Life member of All India Ophthalmic Society
- Life member of Delhi Medical Association
- Life member of Indian Medical Association
- Life member Oculoplasty Association of India